Friday, August 8, 2008

Bit of a side note.....

Ya' know, I wasn't always a brewer. There was a time in my life when I sported a mohawk. True, that was way back in high school wrestling (2nd in my division, senior year Thank You!) . But a mohawk all the same. It wasn't until my second year in college that I met James. I imagine the above picture is what he looked like as a baby.
When I met him he looked more like this:
or was it this:
or maybe this:At any rate, James was sportin' quite the mohawk. I met him playing pool. He was an intimidating 130 pounds. As the years rolled by, I ended up being a raft guide with him on the Colorado River in Glenwood Springs. He didn't have a mohawk at this time but he had not lost the "rebel" mentality.
I still have memories of him leaving his raft (full of paying customers) to commandeer my raft (full of paying customer) by pushing me off the end into the river!
.......Good Times!!!

Anyhoo, I recently heard from James.

Just one sentence.

But that was enough to send me into a novel full of memories. Real friends are like that.
They get it. They know you.

James, if you read this, thanks. I miss you. We had a lot of fun.

Your friend,
Rudolph The Red!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago, James came to get me and told me to go read Dave's Blog. I thought "yeah, ok, another post with something to do with beer or politics, or just a funny note", but when I read this one, it brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat. You really touched James' that day and I thought you should know. You hit the nail on the head when you said "Real friends are like that.
They get it. They know you." We might not be close in miles or even keep in touch like we should, but real friends know that you are in our hearts and will always be thought of! Thanks Dave, for touching James' heart that day!